Thursday, August 16, 2007

Keeping Up With The Times

Trying to keep up with the times, I am going to try blogging (which people tell me is easy). When we first came to Brazil twenty-eight years ago and started our language training, only one house in our neighborhood had a telephone. When we lived in the Amazon rain forest, our only communication was by ham radio. Now through modern technology, living in a town which seems in the middle of nowhere, something I write on computer this afternoon can be seen by you in just minutes.
We have been enjoying a visit with our youngest son Aaron and his wife Rachel from San Diego this past week. It has been a while since we’ve had a visit from any of our kids so we are loving the time together!
Rachel is teaching me how to blog right now. We’ll see how it goes. I just hope I remember what I have to do to keep this up after they head out tomorrow.
We met them at the airport in São Paulo last week Thursday and spent a couple days in the city visiting our old neighborhood and where Aaron went to school. Then, after a couple of cool, rainy days at the beach (it is winter here), we headed home to Bauru where weather was in the 80s.
On Sunday, they enjoyed visiting the church we are starting here and getting to know the church family. It was Fathers’ Day so a special part of the service was presented by the kids and teens.
During the week Sue and I took time off just to do things with Aaron and Rachel – seeing around town, white water rafting,

souvenir shopping, shoe shopping for the ladies, visiting, playing games together and then last night a big Brazilian barbecue with a group of friends.


This is Rachel’s first trip to Brazil, and we’re doing our best to make it a positive experience. Getting to know the culture and people where Aaron grew up is important to understand him a little better. They’ve tried all different kinds of Brazilian foods as well.
It’s been an exciting time, but of course too short a time together. Tomorrow they travel on to Rio for a couple days and then magnificent Iguaçu Falls in south Brazil before heading back to California.
As days go by and I learn more about this blogging, I’ll fill you in more about us and our family and what’s going on here in Brazil.

No comments: